Tuesday, April 27, 2010

More testing!

I am officially a pin cushion!

So, where did I leave off....oh yes, we felt really good after meeting Dr. Potvin on Friday.

We had a quiet weekend, Paul took me out for dinner at Moxie's on Friday night....it has become something of a weekly "thing" that Friday nights we eat out and we will continue to do so as long as I'm feeling up to it.

Saturday our good friends from Michigan came over for a much needed visit! They brought me a gift that I absolutely love! Thank you Ryan & Jocelyn and Aiden! The rest of Saturday was spent napping, with the beautiful quilt my Aunt & Uncle sent! It is so warm and will serve me well over the next few months. I'll call you guys soon! Thank you!

Sunday we headed up to the trailer to "open" up. Well, we unlocked the door, turned on the water, unloaded a bunch of stuff from the Jeep and then headed to Forest to visit with my family and spent the rest of the afternoon with them.

We returned home on Sunday afternoon and I decided that I would sit down and work on the Accounting program I'd started in January and that ends on April 28. When I was initially diagnosed I figured that I was done with it and really didn't care. However, it is rare that I don't complete a course once I start it so I figured I would at least try to get through it. So last night I wrote a test that I already know that I failed...at least I tried. Tonight I will complete the project and write the last test tomorrow...fingers crossed! Good thing I had a 90% average before failing that test, maybe I can redeem myself and at least "pass".

Monday April 26, my Mom picked me up at 8:00 am and we were off to South Street campus of the LHSC for a Bone Scan (the one that was originally scheduled for May 5). I learned as I sat in the waiting room that it was a really good thing that I changed my appointment! They are running out of something required for the test and have canceled appointments in the weeks to come because of the shortage! They injected me with some radio active material and told me to come back in 2 hours. We went for breakfast! Then to the wig store. I tried on a few different styles and I believe that I found one I like. Shorter for summer with some highlights, but still dark. I did try on one that is red with blond highlights and decided that it just doesn't suit me. Maybe I'll be more adventurous with hats!

I returned 2 hours later and they resumed the Bone scan...basically I laid on a bed on my bck and an x-ray camera moved from my head to toes over 18 minutes. Jane was the name of the technician and she also was fantastic. That test all done, Mom took me home and I headed to work.

There is so much to do at the office and so little time to get it done in.

Monday afternoon I received a number of phone calls from hospitals and doctor's offices telling me of more appointments that have been scheduled for me....a second ultra sound guided biopsy, an ECG, and changes to other appointments. Plus I had to schedule then reschedule a dental appointment that was suggested I get in before Chemo starts. There needs to be more hours in a day!

Tuesday, April 27, today! This morning we were at the Cancer Clinic for 8:30 am for an appointment we weren't even sure was still scheduled for that time....luckily we found that it wasn't changed, but it was going to be tight to get to the 10:00 am appointment back at South Street. We met Dr. Lock, my Radiation Oncologist. Nice guy that we'll see a lot of in the second phase of treatment. Another examination and we were off and running to the next appointment. We "raced" to South Street campus only to wait in the waiting room for a half hour. Eventually I was called in, again I changed in the hospital gown and was ready for the first part of this test. I was injected with more radio active stuff. I was laid on a table face down with a space for the girls to hang out for four 5 minute scans and one 18 minute scan....my neck was so sore after laying still for that long! The technician this time was Cheryl and she very comforting which made time pass quickly. When that was done I was told to be back in 2 hours!

We headed to the drug store to pick up our prescriptions that we'd dropped off on Saturday. Thank goodness for good drug plans! One of my prescriptions was $2600.00! Yes, you read that right!!

Back to the hospital for round 2...same test as two hour earlier except now the stuff they injected in me had time to move around.

I also had to get some blood work done....actually I was supposed to go on Monday but totally forgot! This is what happens when you just have to show up with no appointment....but I got it done today.

We left the hospital at 2:30 and headed for home. At 3:30 I was off and running again! To the dentist for the last check up/cleaning before Chemo starts. Good news...there's nothing wrong with my teeth! One less thing to worry about! One more good thing...I can't floss until Chemo is over! Haha! I do it now but I find it to be a chore!

Next Steps:
  • Wednesday April 28, 2010 - Working in the morning, ECG at University Hospital in the afternoon. And once I've been to University Hospital I've hit 'em all!!! Do I win a prize for that?!?
  • Thursday April 29, 2010 - Working in the morning, ANOTHER Ultra Sound Guided Biopsy in the afternoon back at St. Joes. Then I can't do any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 24 to 48 hours. Too bad, Thursday is laundry night!
  • Friday April 30, 2010 - 10:45 am Blood work, 11:45 am appointment with Dr. Potvin before Chemo at 1:15 pm. If Chemo is done early enough I have a "Chemo class" to attend. I'm supposed to take the class before Chemo starts but with such a tight schedule it is next to impossible.
  • Saturday May 1, 2010 - A nurse comes to my house to inject me with something that I can't remember the name of (it's the really expensive drug mentioned earlier), but I'll get it 24 hours after each round of the first phase of treatment. Then we are heading to Toronto because we fly out to Mexico Sunday morning and I didn't think I'd really enjoy getting up at home before 5:00 am to jump on a bus to Toronto on Sunday. So we'll take our time getting there and then just hang out in our hotel room Saturday night, get a good nights sleep and head to the air port at 7:00 am on Sunday.
  • Sunday May 2, 2010 - MEXICO!
On the Monday after we return from Mexico we are having our Family portrait done! We're getting one done now before I get my new "hair do" in a few weeks! We'll do another when this nightmare is over.

Okay, I've got to go get some homework done.... More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment