Monday, August 9, 2010

Only 3 Chemo's to go!!!

We're in the home stretch for treatment!!

Tomorrow (Tuesday August 10) is my final Radiation treatment!! No more daily round trips from the office to the hospital and back. It will be so nice to not have to watch the clock to make sure I get there on time and to spend some uninterrupted days at work. I've been very lucky with Radiation...I only have slight discolouration on the breast and not a bad burn as I was told I might develop. My armpit however has taken the brunt of the burn....but still not too badly. After tomorrow I can use any kind of ointment to heal the burning I want to. I've been using Aloe all along so I will continue to do so.

I have met with my Radiation Oncologist for the last time during treatment...each time he kicks me out of his office for being "too healthy"! Gotta like those visits!! The next time I see him will be December 9 of this year for a follow up.

My last chemo treatment will be the week of August 30 and hopefully within just a couple of weeks I'll get my sense of taste back! Currently most foods that I like taste horrible! This started slowly and the more I receive the Docetaxel the worse it gets. I'm down to only Sweet foods tasting normal which makes it difficult to eat healthy! I finally like to eat desert! I have found that eggs have retained some taste so I'm eating a lot of omlettes....and mixed with a little maple syrop makes them that much better!

Last Friday morning we had our weekly appointment with the Medical Oncologist team. I told them that just the day before I had developed a sore thoat, as it turns out my "sore thoat" was mouth sores and Thrush (a yeast infection of the mouth)!! I got a prescription for it that seems to be working, but that doesn't mean that it won't come back before this is all over.

I was also told by the Nurse Practitioner (Lynda) that it should be "no problem scraping that out"! Which means that the Surgeon should be able to get everything if there is anything left to get after my final 3 chemo treatments which will continue to kill any live cancer cells that remain.

This week we have an appointment with the Surgeon (with the awesome bedside manner....not! Hopefully our first impression was wrong) on Thursday to learn what my options are! Basically I need to know if it is possible to have the removal and reconstruction done all at once.

So to put it all in "Ted Terms"...Ted finally got the harassing eviction notices, took the hint and left town with his main sleaze Emily! They took with them as much as they could handle, but, just as most nightmare tenants do they've left their garbage behind! The Super has arrived to clean up the unit to prepare for the new tenants but there is still some major renovations required in the main unit and the neighbouring unit before they can move in. We'll be meeting with the "wrecking" crew this Thursday in order to determine if they will be able to work with the rebuilding crew simultaneously in order to complete the project on time. Hopefully by Christmas the new tenants will be all moved in and ready to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment