Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Life after Surgery

Well, it's week #3 of being off work recovering from surgery. I never would have thought it would happen but I've actually found things to keep me busy and not worrying about work and what's going on there! Don't get me wrong...I still think about work, just not as much as I thought I would.


Each morning I get up while Paul is getting ready for work and I head down to Tim Horton's to get my morning coffee and Paul's tea and bagel. I spend the next hour sitting in my dinning room working on a puzzle, reading a book or surfing the net. It's a nice relaxing way to start the day! If I had time to do that before heading off to work every day I would, but I'm not a morning person so I don't see me continuing this daily ritual when I start back to work.


Since the drainage tube was removed and I've been able to get around much easier without having to cart the bag around I've started a "project" to keep me busy. I've been doing my "spring cleaning" in the fall! I rarely ever get a chance to clean out every drawer, every closet and every hiding place where "stuff" accumulates! I have discovered things I've not seen in years! It's amazing how this stuff builds up and gets forgotten. My rule...if we haven't used it in the last year it get's pitched! It's been keeping me busy and away from the couch and the TV!


As soon as the tube and drainage bag was removed I started thinking about what I could construct as a make shift prothetic breast. I decided to make my own because I've seen the price of them in the stores and I figured I didn't need to pay that much for something that I only need for 6 months to a year...regardless of the fact that my medical benefits would cover it. My Mom and I went shopping looking for things that would work and we were successful! But even though we found something that worked well, that night I started checking ebay for "silicone breasts". It didn't take long before I found exactly what I was looking for! So I started to bid on them. Bids started at $6.00. I set my maximum bid to $25.00 and three days later I won the auction for $22.50! $12.00 in shipping later and they were shipped! Yes, I said "they". I only need one, but they are sold in sets of two on-line so I have a spare! Yesterday I got a notice in my mail box that there was a package waiting for me at the post office! They've arrived!! I'm "whole" again!


So, this friday (Oct 22) at noon I have an appointment with my Medical Oncologist (a.k.a. the TV doctor). During this appointment we will learn the final results of my treatment, I will learn if I am cancer free!


I'll let you know as soon as I know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment