Friday, December 10, 2010

Next Chapter

Sorry it’s been over a month since I have updated my blog!

I returned to “regular life” on Monday November 8, 2010. Not only did I go back to work that day I also started going to the gym that day as well. I knew that I needed to change my lifestyle and to get back in shape.

How am I going to do that? I joined the Rowbust Dragonboat Racing Team!! It is a team made up of all Breast Cancer Survivors who race (and win) Dragonboats at Festivals throughout the summer.

Last Thursday (Dec 9) I went and met the 17 other "newbies" to the team. It was great to be in a room full of other women who understand exactly what I've been through. But I quickly learned just how easy I had it while undergoing treatment. I heard many "horror" stories of sickness and lengthy hospital stays, all of which I did not experience.

Yesterday morning (Saturday) was my first poolside training session. We sit around the pool on the edge on a wooden seat that is like the seat in the boat and paddle in the pool. It was tough!! The seats are constructed to give you a place to brace yourself with your feet during the paddle stroke. Because I was new there was no seat ready for me yet. I sat on a flutter board and braced myself against the seat of the woman in front of me. This was quite awkward and caused a terrible pain in my hip...but I pressed on, no one else was stopping to rest and either would I! After the poolside training there was a half hour ab workout, then we finished up with a cardio workout. Needless to say when I left the gym my body was tired. But I felt energized!! I joined some of the other ladies for breakfast, we were all starving after a 2 hour work out.

The team trains 2 days a week in the winter, Wednesday nights cardio and Saturday mornings poolside. From May to October we'll train in the boat at Fanshawe lake Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings.

I can't wait for Wednesday nights session...it's been a long time since I've had a reason to train for anything and I'm really excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment